Sunday, December 11, 2011

First Day of the rest of my life

On August 28th 2011, Danny, Jimmy, Melissa, and I got our open water scuba certifications . Nothing has been the same since. I have been a life long lover of all things water. Whether it be floating on a raft in a pool, trying to see what antics I could attempt of a diving board, snorkeling in the clear waters of the Florida gulf for hours on end, wake-boarding at lake mead, Jimmy teaching me to spearfish in lake mojave, driving out to the cliffs at the old Vegas wash trying to see how high I could dive from, water has always been a hidden part of my life that I had never pursued. On that hot august afternoon i was given my temporary open water card. That small piece of paper opened up a whole new world to me. A world that I have been floating above my whole life and never fully realized. I could not wait for my hard card to arrive at the shop so I ran straight to Kinko's and had it laminated.

A couple of days later I was sitting in my equipment at work recalling my recent accomplishment. I had recalled sitting at the bottom of our boats mooring line which was at 60 feet of water. ( the limits of an open water certification) My dive buddy and fellow classmate Danny and I looked at each other and looked off the edge of the rock which went down and off into the dark abyss the look in each others eyes could be read loud and clear we both could see that there was something else down there. We were not sure what it was but we knew we would need to find out for ourselves. This is the exact moment that I knew I was on to something that was gonna change my life forever. For anyone that has been around or talked to me since this time can attest to the obsessive nature of my new hobby.

Since that day my life has been a circus act of juggling real life ( anything above water), work, raising my son, helping april study and take care of our house, and trying to find time to see friends that don't dive lol. I have also continued my diving education as fast as my life and small budget will allow and also started amassing as much gear as i need. A task which I have now learned will never see an end. I have found myself in a unique diving and learning scenario. I was lucky enough to have been taught my first class from one of the best and highest certified divers around. He is most commonly known as the "desert dog".
He has allowed me to dive with him and the rest of his crew and has shown me things and places out of this world.

This is just the beginning for me. I know now what i am gonna do in my future and what is gonna make me truly happy and my calling in life as far as a career and recreational are concerned. I wanna see whats down there. I wanna see things no one else has or can see. I wanna share my love of scuba and the adventure it can create with anyone who is willing to look.

I have so many stories to tell and so many things to see. I hope to share all these things and more on here as I go.

Trav

1 comment:

  1. Hearing all of your fascinating stories is always wonderful, but reading this blog is inspiring. I can't wait for future entries.

    ReplyDelete